The Campsite

The Campsite
The official campsite at ICU/PCU waiting area

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

What Can I Do?

As I sat on my little make-shift bed between visits to Kurt while in the ICU and PCU, I found myself wondering what on earth I could do to help. I had reached the point to where I just randomly walked up and "welcomed" a new person or group of people who arrived. I always told them it wasn't a club any of us necessarily wanted to be a part of, but welcome to the neighborhood and I would help if I could. 

The longer I sat, the more I thought that I could just start pitching in to help--a little dusting here, a little sweeping there. Of course, it doesn't work that way. This isn't a neighborhood; it is a facility where very, very ill people come and go and their families and friends gather for support. People are paid to do the dusting here and the sweeping there.

And then I felt a little more helpless.

I know, from past experience, that some of you feel this way while we're away from home. You're so kind with your calls, your messages, and your cards asking if there's anything that can be done. Frankly, I've been away long enough now, I'm not really sure. But, if I think of something, I'll be sure to let you kind people know. You're a blessing to me every day.

In the meantime, Ann has a good suggestion--if at all possible, donate blood. It seems that the bloodbanks all over the state are in dire need of blood. And that individual need can come suddenly. Kurt needed some transfusions while in ICU; he needed frozen plasma as well as blood before his colonoscopy back in May. I know there will need to be some on stand-by when the liver does arrive and surgery begins. 

Even if it never finds Kurt, it is a remarkable gift you're giving--life.

Thanks and blessings for a great day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment