The Campsite

The Campsite
The official campsite at ICU/PCU waiting area

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Campsite Meanderings on the Road--When God Smiles, Good Things Happen

God has been smiling  on us a lot lately. And we all know that when God smiles, good things happen.

Making this long road trip to Texas gave Kurt and me time to have that delicate, yet all-important talk about what will go into the letter he'll be sending to the donor family. When we spoke in days past, he said he felt kind of "stuck" on what to say. Kurt is one of those men of few words; he measures what he says in those few words. The words that will go into this letter contain tremendous weight--it has been difficult. I've not been able to help him this time--this initial contact is between him and the donor family.
There are, of course, basic guidelines that the good people of the procurement group have given him and all recipients; nevertheless, it is such an emotional and personal issue, those guidelines can only help so much.
So, while on our way to Hurst, we had a little chat. I asked him how the letter was coming along. He said he was still struggling with just what to say to strangers who  truly had done something overwhelming that, in turn, kept him alive.
My heart goes out to him on this task.
I should have known, however, that God would be smiling...and that good things would happen.
Before this trip, I was determined that I was going to spend some time doing very little other than reading some magazines. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I'm really bad at sitting while at home, so a part of any vacation I take involves taking a new magazine that will make me sit, relax, and read.
I shopped in earnest for the right magazines to take. After some deliberation, I picked up one particular magazine that I surprised myself in choosing. I read this magazine from time to time over the past several years, but always felt that there just wasn't that much to it. Nevertheless, this magazine traveled along with me and was, in fact, the first one I chose to look at on the first evening of our trip…
And God smiled.
As I settled into bed that first night and opened the pages of this fresh magazine, something caught my eye that I hadn't noticed until that very second. There was an article entitled, "Dear Donor Family".
Yes indeed, God smiled and good things happened. I read the article and was amazed at how detailed  and helpful it was. It filled in answers to many of the questions we had. I happily shared the article with Kurt the next evening once we had settled in. He read it; a bit later I saw at the top of the screen where he was working on his computer the words "Dear Donor Family".

Don't you just love it when God smiles?

1 comment:

  1. When God Smiles....
    Your words have filled me with pure joy this morning... I don't know that I've thought or prayed more... Felt more connected to a countless group of folks the majority having no idea who they are.... With a goal of healing and lifting you all up through God's grace... Watching and reading from a distance my emotions have run the gamut for Kurt, you and Tom...The display of strength, courage and faith displayed has been truly like nothing I've ever been witness too.... And through your words... I've always felt your goodness and grace jumps off the page when you write... But I've watched it grow... And through all the prayers for Kurt I've felt God smile...

    ReplyDelete